Thursday, February 21, 2008

Do as I Say...

Normally I don't get a lot of attention during my safety briefings.  Unlike most airlines, we are required to recite our announcements from memory and in full view of our passengers. After the initial shock of a real, live safety demonstration (how quaint!) wears off, most people return to their gossip magazines and loud conversations on the decline of air travel.  

But on our descent into Denver the other day, the First Officer called to let me know our flaps (basically these little things on the wings that come up to slow us down when we land) were not functioning; he wanted me to have the passengers in their brace positions for landing.  I got on the PA and told the passengers that we weren't crashing, but they still needed to choose a comfortable brace position from the briefing card just in case we drove off the runway.  I even made them practice it as I walked by their rows. 

Guess what?  They paid attention this time!