Friday, August 17, 2007

No Ginnifer Goodwin in Sight.


Today I wanted to be productive (aka wanted to have an answer for "What did you do in Paris?" besides eating and moping), so I decided to go the the Louvre. It's open late on Friday nights, at a reduced price of €6 (sadly, I no longer qualify for the "young people" discount). I decided to stop at Le Grand Épicerie first, the magnificent grocery store portion of Le Bon Marché, one of Paris' huge old department stores.


I read somewhere that you can't take pictures inside, so you'll have to trust me that everything in this place is beautiful. Before there was Whole Foods Bowery, there was Le Grand Épicerie. Unfortunately, their restaurant was already closed for the night, but I was able to grab an Italian sandwich and a can of wine (their version of a 40?) to go, which I consumed in a nearby park.

The Louvre was just like in the pictures, except more people.


The glass pyramid is cool, I guess, but if you ask me the Fifth Ave store is a lot more interesting. Maybe it just needs better lighting. I knew the Louvre was ginormous, but I was not expecting it to be so stuffy. All those tourists packed together do not make a pleasing aroma. I dutifully followed the little signs until I came to the room that held the Mona Lisa. Pardon my French, but "clusterfuck" is an understatement.


That girl is feeling it. I could only endure about an hour of culture before I had to leave for fear of sprouting a fannypack.

No comments: